Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fuji Apples Rock!!!!!

I contributed to a few Wiki’s. One was a Wiki that was that was trying to get a list of 1,000 names. The students in this teacher’s classroom were having a hard time visualizing what 1,000 looked like. They created the Wiki to collect 1,000 names to help the students visualize 1,000. Another contribution that I made was to an educational wiki at http://eatme.wikispaces.com/Apples. This particular Wiki was asking you to choose your favorite food from a list of foods. They then wanted you to persuade the reader to try that food. So you were to write a description of the food and explain why it is the best. I chose apples and did a small description of why I felt Fuji apples were the best apple. I think that this would improve students’ persuasive writing skills. I remember that that was one of our writing prompts when I taught fifth grade. It was always hard finding a topic that students were interested in enough to write a persuasive piece of writing about. I think that you could set up a Wiki much like this one where the students could choose what they would like to write about from a list of options. I think that it would be a great place for them to learn from one another by viewing each other’s work.

4 comments:

Hailey said...

What an interesting way to use Wiki pages. I don't like apples at all, so I cannot add to the apple one! If you have a minute will you send me the wiki space where the teacher wanted one thousand names for her students to see. I would like to check it!

-Hailey

Travis said...

Tamara,

This was a really interesting wikispace because it was a topic that is unique. It was interesting to see all the different responses that were posted. I thought it really illustrated how people in general judge things from what they look like from the outside. I liked your description on the apple you chose. This wiki space would be great for any topic of interest because it allows for creativity and imagination to be exposed in the classroom. This site also shows that all student’s views areimportant and each needs to be respected.

Miss Caleffe said...

Tamara,

That's a GREAT idea!!! I am having my kids write a persuasion on their favorite book. I am going to have them post it onto my wiki page...GREAT FIND!! Thanks!

Lisa

Laura Ann said...

I agree....great find. There are so many unique ways to use a wikispace, and this example is just one of them. I am currently teaching my first graders the purpose of their writing (inform, persuade, entertain, express) and this idea would be great to help the kids learn about persuasion. Thanks for the great post!